- Way Finders is dedicated to ensuring that all subsidy and utility payments to rental property owners and tenants will continue to be made as scheduled.
- We will place a temporary hold on any non-emergency terminations that have been issued.
- All non-emergency appeals and hearings will be placed on hold and rescheduled at a later date.
- Where possible and latitude permits, Way Finders will work to provide such discretions in regards to deadlines and lease-up time.
Way Finders Service Updates in Response to COVID-19
Updated April 3rd, 2020
Way Finders and our subsidiaries, Common Capital, and MBL will be closed to the public until Monday, May 4th.
Many of our staff are working remotely to maintain key administrative and programmatic functions and respond to emergencies. At present, there are no in-person RAFT intakes, housing/financial education/first-time homebuyer workshops, or any other group or individual meetings.
Please note: Way Finders will also delay the opening of our new Springfield Housing Center (originally scheduled for April 7th) until a later date.
We will update this page regularly and will extend this closure period if we feel that it is necessary after May 4th, or in response to additional guidance from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Please see below for specific programmatic details and contact information.
Rental Voucher or Housing Subsidy Programs
If you are a Rental Assistance Client, please contact:
- RAGeneralinfo@wayfinders.org or 413-233-1580
If you are a Rental Assistance Landlord, please contact:
- RAGeneralinfo@wayfinders.org or 413-233-1590
Landlords, please note, all rent payments will be made as scheduled during the closure period.
- We anticipate an increase in requests for interim recertifications, due to the number of our participants who may see a decrease in hours or termination of employment. We will also prioritize recertifications for decreases in family compositions. We will prioritize these activities in order to ensure that families remain stably housed. Documents can be provided through email, text, fax, and by mail. For tenants without access to technology, phone appointments will be scheduled on a limited basis to review mailed documents.
- Processing of annual and biennial recertifications will be temporarily suspended until further notice. We will reassess as appropriate.
- We will continue to send participants recertification packets in anticipation of future recertifications being reinstated. These packets will not be processed until after recertifications processing are restored.
- We will immediately suspend all new voucher selection activity until further notice. Selections that were already in process will continue and applicants will receive more information via email.
- New Lease up: We will request that tenants provide documents through email, text, fax, and by mail. For tenants without access to technology, phone appointments will be scheduled on a limited basis to review mailed documents.
- Way Finders will prioritize working with participants to process documents for new lease-ups.
Housing Consumer Education Center
- RAFT and other fund assessments will continue taking place.
- These assessments can be completed online at www.wayfindersma.org/hcec-assessment. A Way Finders staff member will follow up on completed assessments within 2 business days to discuss your options for submitting required documentation.
- Assessments can also be completed over the phone with a Way Finders staff member at 413-233-1600.
- We are suspending all outreach activities, effective immediately, including in housing courts and at other community partner locations.
Way Finders will continue to accept new shelter placements from the Department of Housing and Community Development, and all intakes will be processed as usual.
Stabilization Staff is operating remotely via phone, email and/or text.
Employment Support Services
Employment Support Services staff members are operating remotely via phone, email and/or text.
Way Finders' Managed Properties
Property Management has been communicating directly with each tenant. Staff will be available to tenants and will be utilizing phone, e-mail and text messages in order to minimize in person contact.
Evictions and Court Actions
- Way Finders is temporarily suspending all non-emergency evictions.
- Per Housing Court Standing Order 2-20, all non-emergency pending court cases will be continued beyond April 21, 2020.
- Way Finders will temporarily suspend levies, unless it is an emergency, on executions for physical evictions. This means that no physical evictions are currently taking place, except in emergency situations.
- We will be cancelling all outstanding notices to quit for non-payment of rent.
- Action on For Cause Notices to Quit are being temporarily suspended, but may be resumed, once appropriate, on a case-by-case basis.
Property Management is continuing to process recertifications and will be communicating with tenants directly to coordinate any accommodations that need to be made in order to minimize person-to-person contact. Way Finders will be making adjustments to its policies, where possible, to be responsive to any difficulties individuals may have in obtaining necessary verifications and paperwork.
Homeownership and Financial Education
To contact the Homeownership and Financial Education department please email:
First-time Homebuyer Courses and Counseling
- Way Finders is encouraging people who are interested in completing their first-time homebuyer requirements to take our online First-time Homebuyer Course. All in-person workshops are temporarily on hold during this time.
- Homeownership Counselors are operating remotely via phone, email, and/or text
Credit Success/Financial Education Counseling
- Financial Counselors are operating remotely via phone, email, and/or text.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information regarding how to setup a counseling appointment.
We understand that these times are uncertain. At this time, you or a loved one may be worried about how you will pay your mortgage.
The best advice we can give is for you to contact your servicer before falling behind on your mortgage. Your servicer may be able to temporarily reduce your payments, or offer you a forbearance. If you have already fallen behind, you should still contact your servicer to see what options you may have to move forward.
If you are feeling overwhelmed or need help understanding your options, Way Finders may be able to help. For more information please contact us at 413-233-1621 or email@example.com.
Additionally, please refer to the USA Today article that talks about mortgage forbearance and how some lenders are responding to the COVID-19 mortgage crisis.
We appreciate your understanding about this temporary closure and apologize for any inconvenience it may cause. Please continue to check this website for new updates over the next several weeks.